ISSUE NO. 869
The title of humble western hero
was used as a testing gorund for many marvelous concepts that would later become superhero standards. Let's take a look!
1) Invisible alien forces battle the helpless hero.
2) The hero faces down a ghostly double of himself.
3) Forget unseen forces and ghosts -- now, it's outright invisibility.
4) Was the Man in the Iron Mask a relative of Dr. Doom?
5) Over time old Iron Mask refined the steel pot he wore over his head.Looks more and more like Dr. Doom!
6) Iron Mask dons full-body armor long before Dr. Doom or Iron Man.
8) Reprint cover.
9) A precursor of the Kingpin prowled the old west?
10) Evil version of title's main hero.
11) slight little super powers begin to sneak in.
12) Another "Deadly Double" of the hero.
13) Apparently Kid Colt's west was populated by Ditko-ish space alien monsters. That's all! Happy trails, reader.